Do you get phone calls from people asking you for money throughout the day? Do they call you at all hours of the night trying to make you offers for payday loans? If so, you might be the victim of a bad credit payday loan scam or a plain scammer who wants to take you for as much money as they can.
Unfortunately, there are scammers all over the place and you could be their target. That doesn’t mean you have to be subject to their tactics and deal with those annoying phone calls all the time.Use these tips to help you stop the bad credit payday loan scam that’s driving you nuts.
- Ask to get something in writing. If they don’t have a real debt to collect they won’t produce documentation and you can forget about them.
- Try hanging up on them. They can’t do much if you answer the phone and then just hang up once you realize who they are. Eventually they’ll get the message that you’re not to be messed with and move on.
- Don’t engage. Getting into arguments only provokes the scammers. They want to get under your skin, so don’t engage to begin with.
- Record the calls and let the person calling know you’re doing it. They might not be so eager to talk to you once they know you’re recording everything they’re saying to you.
- Let the caller know you’re documenting everything, including the numbers they call on. They don’t want to be investigated if they’re running a scam.
- Contact your local police department and let them know about any harassment. Weird or threatening calls, calling at all hours of the night and even calling you at work can all be considered harassment.
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. They’ll want specifics from you, so document who calls what they say and what numbers they’re calling from.
- Change your phone number. You don’t want to have to do this, but sometimes it’s the easiest thing to stop the harassment in your life.